header
 
Face book
     
 
 
 
 

The Phoenix Saloon Timeline

1871 -  John Sippel completes the original two story building

1872-1875 -   Schumacher Brewery in basement

1872–1873 -   Hohmann & Meier Saloon & Billiard Room

1873–1875 -  Hohmann Saloon

1875-1877 -  Kronkosky Saloon

1877-1877 -  Hohmann & Ludwig Saloon

1877-1881 -   Ludwig Saloon

1881-1885 -   Krause Saloon & Billiard Hall

1882 -  Owner John Sippel builds a bowling alley to rear of building

1885 -  Proprietor Walter Krause dies on Aug 7 from injuries sustained in a July 26 bar fight with James Alexander.

1885-1886 -  Streuer Saloon

1886–1893 -   Ludwig Saloon

1887 -   Second floor serves as headquarters for the Anti-Prohibition movement.

1891 -  Sippel builds a pool and fountain to the side of the saloon.

1892 -   William Gebhardt opens a cafe at the back of the Ludwig Saloon

1893–1895 -  Mittendorf & Son Saloon

1894 -   William Gebhardt develops his now famous chili powder (called Tampico Dust).

1895–1896 -   After a fire temporarily shuts the bar, new proprietors Philip Holzmann and Gottlieb Oberkampf re-open the bar, re-naming it the Phoenix Saloon

1898-1899 -  Holzmann moves to Schertz and Oberkampf becomes sole proprietor

1899-1900 -  Carl Luerson and Henry Fischer operate the Phoenix Saloon.

1900 -   On April 25, John Sippel kills himself on the second floor with a gun shot to the right temple.

1900–1918 -   Proprietors of the Phoenix Saloon & Restaurant during this period include Carl Luersen & Henry, Fischer, Hermann Tolle, Edward Kalies, Otto Reeh, the Alves Brothers, twin brothers Bruno and Alfred Pape, Adolf F. Moeller & Henry Warnecke, Emil Mergele, Gustav Becker & Oswald Ulbricht, Charles Scheel, Charles M. Doeppenschmidt, Edwin Alves, Charles Soechting (the last proprietor).

1918 -  Prohibition closes the Phoenix Saloon on June 26

1918–1922 -   An illicit brewery operates out of the basement

1919-1922(?) -   Phoenix Restaurant

1922 -   Albert Robert Ludwig expands the building (changing the architecture, enlarging its footprint and adding a third floor.

1923–1932 -   Mendlovitz Department Store

1927 -   Jacob Schmidt bought the building and changed the name displayed on the front (at top) from A.R. Ludwig to Schmidt (as it appears today).

1932–1936 -  Stehling Brothers Men & Boys Wear

1935-1936 -   Building undergoes its last major renovation

1936-1995 -  Jacob Schmidt & Son (department store)

1996–1997 -   Attic Antiquity

1997-2007 -   Color Express (print and copy center run by former Mayor Adam Cork)

2010 -   The Phoenix Saloon rises again...


 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Forthcoming
Shows

The Georges
The Beaumonts
Adam Johnson & The Pay Me's
Vallejo
Rodney Hayden
Scott H Biram
Mario Flores & The Soda Creek Band
Javi Garcia & The Cold Cold Ground
Rick Sanford Band
Click here for all shows


 

193 W. San Antonio St, New Braunfels TX 78130. Just off the Plaza in the heart of historic downtown. Click here for map